Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Main Street evacuated for gas leak

Main Street evacuated for gas leak

Posted in:
Article Image Alt Text

Many started their day on Main Street by standing outside and watching firefighters work after a suspected gas leak at Luigi’s Italian Restaurant caused an evacuation of most of the north 100 block. According to the Elgin Police Department call blotter, the problem arose when multiple pilot lights were not on in a gas stove. Shortly after 9 a.m., the businesses surrounding Luigi’s, including the Elgin Courier office, were asked to evacuate. People were directed to the northwest corner of 2nd Street and Main Street. Traffic was closed on Main Street until about 9:25, and by 9:30, everyone was allowed back into their ...

PLEASE LOG IN FOR PREMIUM CONTENT. Our website requires visitors to log in to view the best local news. Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!